Monday, February 12, 2007

Of Elephants and Eggs


The local Kroger had prime rib on sale so I bought a 7 pounder for the family.  This was our second celebration of my oldest son's 13th birthday.  Well, we got home after the boys basketball games and I got it ready to throw on the grill.  A couple hours later and we had yet another great meal.  We then settled down to watch Superman Returns as a family. 

We went to bed pretty late.  It was around midnight when my wife and I finally settled down.  I closed my eyes and fell into a wonderful sleep. All I remember was this:

I was walking around in what appeared to be Russia.  I was searching for ideas of my latest food creation (somehow I was wearing a chef hat and apparently had a tv show).  I walked up to a bay door of an old abandoned factory building.  There was a regular door next to it, so I walked through it.  There in the bay stood two very large gray elephants.  They were standing on a wet floor eating straw.  Not expecting an answer, I said, "what are you two doing here?"
In broken english, the elephant replied, "we are waiting for you."

"What for?"

"We want teach you a recipe."

"Recipe?"

"Yes, recipe.  Sit down please."

From there these two giant elephants began telling me of their exotic cooking ideas and how they felt I was the chosen one to bring this recipe into the world.  They talked all about one of my favorite foods (that I know I shouldn't eat too much of), eggs.  They then began to prepare for me what they called an "egg loaf toast". 

"What you do, is take loaf of bread.  You know good bread recipe.  Use trunk to poke two holes in dough. (I don't have a trunk, but I didn't want to get into that with them.  I would make do later.)  Shoot egg yokes into holes, then bake..."

"When you pull out of oven, yokes will be nice and firm and you can serve bread like toast, or do what we do and make french toast."

The larger elephant finished making french toast and was just about to hand me a plate and I woke up.



6 comments:

andijeane said...

So, when are you trying the new recipe?


I love you!


~Andrea

rcelliott said...

I will make the recipe as soon as I finish the dream and find out what it tastes like.

anotherblogonthefire said...

I'm sure those elephants would recommend unbleached filters!

bestsister said...

Just be sure to serve up a bit of bacon on the side. Canadian Bacon of course. Do you know the joke about the farm animals wanting to make breakfast for the farmer? The cow volunteered some milk for his coffee, the chicken offered some eggs, and the pig said "this is a bad idea! You get to just share, I have to go whole hog!" (Ba doom ching)

anotherblogonthefire said...

We went to Bob Evans in Port Huron for breakfast this morning (before heading to a church to hear Dr. Kevin Leman speak).

I noticed that their menu was missing something - No 'Egg Loaf Toast'.

Maybe you should talk to Bob.

rcelliott said...

to work for Bob... That might have been a flashback to then.