Friday, March 23, 2007

37 hurts

Well, as my wife told you my birthday was the other day.  I am now 37.  Since my birthday was early in the week, we were not able to really do a lot as a family together as my younger son had basketball practice.

Basketball...  Yeah, basketball...  I always wanted to get the call from the NBA saying there was a spot for me on the Pistons.  (Drifting away in dreams)  "Ok, Rob, you are in the starting lineup...."

The ball is tossed up and the play begins.  Our team is a little bigger than the other team, giving us the advantage.  We are playing man to man defense, and I am covering this guy who looks just like Curious George.  He is little but tenacious.  It is alright, though, I have his number.

The game goes on, we pity the other team, so we let them stay in the game.  I am playing well.  I think by the third quarter I am up to 20 points with some amazing plays.  Oh, break away play.  The ball comes to me.  Turn, dribble, make the pickup to go for the big slam and out of nowhere two defenders run into me from either side.  I go down hard on my knee.  A few minutes later I get up and limp away.  That pretty much ended my NBA career, and my night at the Upward "parents vs kids game.  Oh well, snap back to reality.

So now I have been 37 for 3 days and I still haven't recovered.  It all felt good when I was playing, but I don't remember even having some of the parts of my body that hurt now.  Good thing Andrea bought me a bass guitar for my birthday.  Rock Stars never get hurt.....

2 comments:

anotherblogonthefire said...

Another birthday, aching bones and a new bass...

Maybe you could tour with the Rolling Stones on their 'Steel Wheelchair' tour!

benandy said...

We all have our dreams, I suppose. I, personally, have blocked a four-year-old from making a goal in a parent vs. toddler soccer game. Stuffed him pretty good. The other parents didn't exactly sing my praises for that one.