Friday, June 15, 2007

Acts 3 for homeschool dads

Did you ever read Acts chapter 3?  I read it the other day and for some reason homeschooling was on my mind.  I got to thinking about my role in homeschooling.  I got to thinking about being a dad in general.  I got to thinking about the word of God.  I got to thinking about my role from the Father.  This was a lot of thinking for me.  Let me tell you what I came up with.


 “There was a child sitting in the doorway in a home called “My Own.”  This child sat at the doorway daily waiting, and sometimes begging for something he did not have.  On this particular day a man walked through the door.  Seeing the child he looked to him.  The child spoke to him and told him how he was weary from Algebraic equations and grammar and was in desperate need of something.  The child then commenced in begging to the man.


 The man, seeing the child’s need, told him this:


“Algebra and Grammar, have I none, but what I have as your father and your priest in the house I give you.  In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk in your faith.”


 The two walked in together, sat down and read from the word.  They began praising the Lord together.  They even brought Mom in to praise with them.  The parents began to give the child an outward vision to reach the lost and care for the needy.  They faced trials together and overcame them by the power of Jesus.


 As this was going on, the man and his son went to a men’s meeting.  The men of the church had not seen a thing like this before.  This was not right.  The man was allowed to enter, but they recognized the floppy haired teenager as the one who used to beg.  He did not fit the mold of the men’s ministry.  They began to wonder at this thing. 


 The man, seeing the confusion, answered the men in the meeting.  Men of the church, why do you stare at us as though we are breaking some great rule?  Do you not know the words regarding fathers and sons?  Do you not know that we are called of God to train them up, know them, know their giftings and strengths and help them to use them for the kingdom?  Do you not know that it is our role as fathers to be priests of the home, and to give our children an outward vision to reach the lost and care for the needy as Jesus did?  Why do you marvel at the fact that I have brought my son into this room to get input from the men of the church?


The men of the church were perplexed over this word.  So the man and his son left the meeting, went over to the food pantry, grabbed some of the food that had been sitting there and went out to homes.  Soon they had a food ministry reaching over two hundred families a month and many were added to the kingdom because of that act.”

No comments: