Sunday, February 4, 2007

Grill Therapy


 For Christmas I got a new grill.  Some might say, “okaaayy, nothing too exciting about that”, but it really is exciting. 


 First, let me tell you about the grill.  It is a Primo Kamado grill.  It is basically a big ceramic egg shaped grill.  This grill uses two vents and maintains temperature very well.  It can also be used as a smoker.  For more information about the grill go here.  If you want one, please order from my dad as he is a Primo Grill dealer.


 Let’s get into why this grill is therapy.  Well, for starters, I have talked more with my dad in the last month or so than I can ever remember.  This has been very good for me.  Yes, our topics basically include meat temperature, cooking technique, recipes, butchers and cuts of meat, but we seem to talk a lot about everything.  This has really created an open door for me to communicate with my dad.


 Another area it has become therapy for me has been that we, as a family, have slowed down together.  The kids get excited if I come home with a white wrapped package and get into helping get the meat or chicken ready.  Usually it takes about three hours to cook something well.  Then it takes an hour to eat, and another ½ hour to clean up.  From there we can sit down as a family in the family room, relax and listen to our latest audio book.


 The boys help with the rubs and putting tasty creations together, and assist me in grill prep.  Notice I said the boys.  This is really a good thing for the family that it is the boys doing this.  Andrea is a very good cook in her own right, but the boys usually resist home cooking.  They have, unfortunately, tasted too early the sinful delights of fast food, and for the past eight years are convinced that a family must not eat at home.  Ahh, but with the grill they get to enjoy some wonderful creations like apple cider beer can chicken (beer can is the method, it is not made with beer nor a beer can.  I actually have a Primo Chicken Sitter), smoked pork loin, armadillo eggs, sirloin tip roast, and our favorite, prime rib.  What is better is that they are learning and working without even a thought or complaint about it.


 Andrea and the girls have a little less to do.  Since I have cooked nearly every other day since January 2, the girls and the wife aren’t as stressed about “what are we going to eat?”  This is nice.  Another thing that helps reduce my wife’s stress level is that there is less mutiny from all four kids.  Finally, as I get more organized with each cook, she has less clean up to worry about. 


My therapy is the cooking itself.  All of the things above have been good therapy for me, but, I have wanted to really be a grill aficionado for quite some time.  I am no longer afraid to buy a choice cut of meat to cook.  I know how this grill works and am very confident that it is the best design for a grill.  I know I won’t get things like hot spots and burn one spot, or several hamburgers because this grill doesn’t do that.  I get to do something I love to do and the whole family can enjoy with me.  I also love the outcome.  I like the thrill of seeing everyone’s faces light up at the first bite of a perfectly cooked chicken.  I like the time at the table.  I can’t describe everything about why it is therapeutic just for me, but I think you get the idea.


 Kitty



 

3 comments:

mycrazylife said...

I remember those days! Spending hours cooking up a fantastic meal. I wish I could add another couple of hours to the day to spend making interesting food combinations. Once I had another baby, those days went right out the window!

<br>

<br>Blessings,

<br>Hallie

anotherblogonthefire said...

But I'm not sure if it is for the food, or the ability to be home early enough to cook a 3 hour meal (without eating at 9pm)!

MasterWindu said...

Ya Dad the food is better than chines food.

love ya.

>>>masterwindu<<<