Friday, December 7, 2007

My Hero Dies Well

I am sure many of you know Evel Knievel died.  This was sad for me and I have to say I almost cried.  There is a lot I want to say about the passing of this guy that affected me, and I don't know where to start.  I guess I have to go to the beginning.

My dad used to race motorcycles.  I loved (and still do, though I was never able to get into it, but if someone wanted to get me a Christmas present I would love a Yamaha YZ250F) EVERYTHING motorcycles.  I loved to go to his races.  A few of the few (you can tell my childhood hero was Evel Knievel, I have had so many concussions, I don't remember most of my youth) childhood memories I have are memories of going to either an ice race or a trials competition and loving every minute of it. 

I was very young then.  I must have been three years old or so.  I don't think I knew how to talk.  I just replied to everyone in motorcycle sounds.  Then one night as I was in the house playing with my Evel Knievel Toys (of which I had all of them) HE called!  My walkie talkie buzzed in and it was ACTUALLY Evel Knievel calling from "Canifonia"!  It was the most exciting moment of my life.  I talked to Evel Knievel and told him all about my jumps and how I was going to do everything he did.  I was so excited.  The only bummer was that my dad had to go to the bathroom so he missed the entire call.....

Well, I often acted like Evel Knievel as I grew up.  I was a psychotic BMX freestyler and racer.  At 10, I was one of the first people ever recorded to jump out of a bowl at a skatepark.  I was challenging guys twice my age to go bigger.  I may have to dig up some pictures of those times for you.

In 1997 I cememted my likeness of Evel.  I broke my neck at a BMX race.  I thought of him as I was i the hospital.  My sister had put the tv on for me and the BMX freestyle X Games were on.  I laid there thinking how Evel paved the way for me and how  was one of the front runners of the sport.  I actually got to thinking of how Evel cheated death and paralysis so I knew God was going to take care of me.  It was a stretch, but I knew He was going to take care of me no matter what.

Three years ago a movie came out on tv about the life of Evel.  One of my buddies copied it for me, but I have still not watched it.  I didn't want to wreck my image of him.  I had heard what sort of man he was and I wanted to think of him as I knew him.  Somewhere along my life I saw a special on Robbie Knievel and how messed up in his heart he is right now.  In this show Robbie and his dad talked on the  phone together.  It didn't look at all like my phone call with him.  Robbie got off the phone bitter and angry.

Well, this brings us to the news of Evel's death.  Why was I so sad?  It impacted me that one of my few heroes in life had finally passed.  I think that was tough.  It dawned on me that he, for a long time rejected Christ.  I actually did cry about the passing of Evel Knievel over this thought.

I called Andrea to tell her about it.  She was sympathetic.  I think she knew it was one of the few heroes I have ever had.

Well, a few minutes later I turned on the radio i my car.  This is how cool God is!  The local Christian talk show was playing the recent testimony of Evel Knievel!!!  God reminded me of a lot of things about hope, and how the story is not always finished in those few minutes.  I will save that for another blog, but I would like to leave you some of the highlights of his career.

Evel Knievel Accepts Christ




Seven Greyhound Buses



14 Greyhound Buses



13 Mack Trucks



Caesar's Palace




Snake River Canyon



Portland



11 Mack Trucks



Fifty Stacked Cars



No comments: