Monday, April 21, 2008

First Dirt 2008

It is that time of year again. Everyone says that at every season or holiday. Ah, but this is special. This is the time of year when I can finally ride my bike on the dirt. After 4 months of spinning away on my trainer I finally get to commune with nature. It is a wonderful thing.


Here is how it happened. We were at the Master Builders Spring Regional (audio here) and my buddy, Pastor Ken's daughter, Mimi, starts playing the cute, sweet card to see if I will take her biking. Well, I had a lot to do, but I really wanted to go, so I didn't answer. Mimi took that as a yes and the next day of the regional her and dad showed up with all of their biking gear. Needless to say As soon as it was over and all of the cleanup from the luncheon was done we were on the way home to pick up the boys and the bikes.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3207/2430299573_b32e7b2843.jpg?v=0
This was my first ride back on a cross country bike in a looooooooooong time. Normally I like to do downhill and freeride stuff, so this was like a challenge to me. I also like to ride my Enduro as it is the best bike ever made, so this new Soul Cycles Dillinger 29er was a really different feel.

First impressions of the first dirt for the year. Well, I can tell that I have been on the trainer. I had a lot of energy and was pedaling smooth. I was able to ride everything and really enjoyed it. All of the kids had a great time and that was a plus. Pastor Ken was pretty happy to get out and move. It ended up being a really fun afternoon.

I noticed this bike is tall. 29 inch wheels are a lot taller than you would think. I had done a lot of research as I have two new frames I could have built up. I am actually glad I started here. The 29er does have its quirks, but it seemed to fit my riding style quite nicely. I was able to adjust to handling this big rig in a matter of minutes and went from timid to terror. Ok, I didn't really go to terror as I am very slow. The training helped my endurance, but I still have no speed to speak of .



The lack of suspension didn't bother me either. I must admit that I think that I like a full rigid bike for xc. I was thinking that I may need to get a suspension fork, but it ended up feeling nice and responsive on its own, and the big wheels seemed to roll over stuff more easily. I also liked the rigidity of the rear end. I was able to climb things I haven't climbed in the last year. That is a big accomplishment as this body isn't meant for climbing.

Nothing notable happened on this trip. It wasn't like one of my previous first rides. It was just a fun, relaxing, enjoyable afternoon on the bike with my boys and my friends. Since my schedule is going to be jam packed this summer I will be sneaking in my rides as much as possible. I think I will probably be riding during lunch just to fit it in...

No comments: